Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pencil Sketches of Children: Beautiful Sierra

Three-color chalk drawing on toned paper after
the technique of the Old Masters. About 11"x 14".
1/11/11.

Today is Sierra's 14th birthday and she finally opened the gift (this drawing) that she had sweetly asked me to make for her. It was so fun to do and I hoped she would like it. She did!

I explained to Sierra that a portrait doesn't have to look exactly like a person -- if that's what you want you should take a photo. Instead, a portrait is a record of what the artist sees and what the artist feels about the subject. It can be a picture of the inner spirit of the individual. I see Sierra as a pure, sweet, full of faith and loving young woman and that's what I attempted to capture in this portrait. To me she is beautiful inside and out.
I finished it last week, on 1-11-11 (such a fun date) but I dated it with her birthday (Jan. 18) -- a great day for our family because she joined it.



8 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I love that her skin looks like it's glowing. Beautiful portrait of a beautiful girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing! I feel so lucky to know you. Every painting I have seen that you have done gives me goosebumps. So many different materials and styles and you do them all with your signature sophistication.
    Thank you for being so..........YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh. Your kind words make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful portrait of a sweet young woman. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deanne, This is Teresa Johnson, Nikki Dunbar Johnson's daughter.. Mom and I are sitting here looking at Your amazing artwork!! She commented that she always knew how very talented you were and are!!! I cannot agree more!! Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, all, for your very dear comments. It means a lot to me. Teresa, what a fun surprise to hear from you! I loved seeing your mother this summer for the first time since we were in 9th grade! I couldn't get enough of her great smile -- she was special to me. Thanks for reaching out like this.

    ReplyDelete