Sunday, August 19, 2012

Symbolism in Art


"The Holy Family" (mixed media, sienna oil stain on paper.  Click to see enlarged view.)

Brennon recently became interested in symbolism contained in artwork so I posted this as an example of work I've done which has additional meaning that one might not notice at first glance. Of course many, if not most, classical works are filled with symbols that give deeper meaning to the works, such as items included in the picture that suggest who the subject is or what is happening in the story.  Mine is a modest example.

This painting is a sketch I did to work out a plan for a more complicated painting I intended to do.  It's based on a live Nativity located on the Washington D.C. Temple grounds each December which solemnly and lovingly reminds visitors of the holy night in Bethlehem when Jesus Christ was born.  The Temple Presidency selected the full colored version of this image to use as their 1998 Christmas card.  Since the painting contains many symbolic images,  I like to ask interested people if they can list them all.  Here are some:  the family group itself – a sacred unit; branches on the right and left symbolizing life and death; the child’s eyes looking not at his mother but at us--He said that His work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man (& woman)!   His finger points to remind us that only He marks the path and leads the way to eternal life.   Also, you may notice the sign language expression in the child's hand.  There are more.

"A Rose ARose" (oil on canvas)


Here is another painting with symbolism.  With the permission of Ellie Colton who had ordered the flowers, I took home a pink floral arrangement from the funeral of my dear friend Janet Larson.   Working through the painting was like a stream of thought or a doodle.  Every time I came to an edge I decided to do the opposite of what I might naturally do.   It was a joyful painting and I invite the viewer to draw his or her own interpretations.  I have mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment