Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Genevieve"


2000, mixed media, including pastel on paper, 18" x 24"


I thought about drawing Genevieve for a long time as her looks fascinated me. Sometime I could see her as a schoolmarm, other times--an angel. She had the singing voice of an angel so that is the direction I chose. Genevieve and I sat in the warm autumn sunshine in my backyard. Pastel brings out the scribble in me and I relished every minute as I vigorously suggested foliage in the background then delicately described her face.
My friend Lori cried (with tenderness) when she saw this portrait because she thinks so highly of the young woman who posed for me and who volunteered to help provide Lori's frail mother company as she wiled away her last few weeks. Genevieve was an angel.

1 comment: