Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Painting of Children: "Getting Her Feet Wet", also called "The Little Wader"


2007, oil on canvas, 16”x 20”

The little flower girl headed straight to the creek after my nephew’s wedding on a cattle ranch in Montana. Since I always have camera--will travel, I kept snapping until a look I wanted presented itself. I would paint children from life but they only stay still a nanosecond. In this painting I had to decide where I wanted her to look: at the bank--suggesting insecurity; far ahead--possibly suggesting dangerous risk-taking; or just ahead of her feet--implying that she would be careful and steady as she tests the waters.

3 comments:

  1. Truly gorgeous. The computer screen doesn't quite capture how light and airy you made her skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The detail in the stones is phenomenal too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jadie, I love your comments!

    ReplyDelete